I was out of town over a long weekend. Dancing again. It's a lovely break from artwork occasionally.
I'm back to working on this print. Above is the first pull of the key block (the black one with all the design on it). It's colored with watercolor, just to give me an idea of where I want to go with it.
The next step (for this one, not always), was to pull a copy on top of the uncut block I wanted to do the green on and make sure I had full coverage. I had some water-soluble blue ink left from another project, so I used it just as a test.
Then I carved the block that is just for the aqua roof and the bluebells (on the left side). The color blocks are larger, simpler blocks of color. I print them first and then put the black key block on top.
Finally today I tested out both colored ones. I need to make both the green and the bluebells much lighter. I also misfired and used the wrong spacing to print, so there's a second roof on this one. But since I was just proofing (and since I already had the green down), I just went with it, fixed the spacing, and did it again as a test. I need to get the blue roof just a smidgen over to the right -- there's a sliver of white between it and the black outline of the roof. But this one is really close, which is a great feeling. I'm slowly getting better at all this. I think the printing is doing well -- now I need to keep the design steady as I transfer it to three different blocks. I think that's where the mistake happened on this one.
Martha Kelly is an artist and illustrator who lives and works in Memphis, Tennessee.
Get studio email updates from Mr. Darcy and me.
To subscribe to this blog, by email: